An autopsy report on 6 year old Amkelekile Mokoena has revealed that she died after choking on a grape that was packed in her lunch box.
Below is a screenshot of her mother describing how the family was informed of Amkelekie ‘s death.
Amkelekile died at her desk at M. E.L international school in Germiston on 24 January where she was in Grade 2.
Her mother Lovely Mokoena and father Sibusiso Manyoni (33), is accusing the school of negligence as the family was told that she arrived at Gxowa Hospital when she was already dead.
Lovely told the Sowetan Newspaper that no one was present to assist her daughter when she started choking as the teacher had gone out to have her own lunch.
They were told that after she vomited, Amkelekile was asked if she was OK, to which she responsed ‘Yes’ and she was not taken to the sick bay.
The school had not responded to questions from the newspaper.
An inquest will be carried out as requested by Germiston police.
Please read the full story in today’s Sowetan Newspaper – 28 February 2021.