The son of former President Jacob Zuma, Duduzane Zuma, says he has begun processes in KwaZuluNatal to contest the ANC leadership at the next National Conference.
Zuma has his political ambitions set high, he said he has already started rounding up branch support in a bid to run for ANC presidency. During an interview with SABC, Duduzane promised to do things differently.
It is however still unclear as to how much ground support Zuma has in ANC and the KZN province. Duduzane Zuma has been in hot water for his comments which are believed to have incited violence and unrest last month.
In a video he urged those protesting to loot responsible. Duduzane told the SABC that his comments were taken out of context. He said he was not part of those who incited unrest in the country.
Duduzane Zuma revealed that he hasn’t visited his father Jacob Zuma who is in hospital for a routine checkup.
The former President is currently serving his 15 month contempt of court sentence for failing to comply with the Constitutional court order to appear before the Zondo Commission into State Capture.
Meanwhile Zuma’s fraud and racketeering court case is expected to resume at the Pietermaritzburg High Court on Tuesday. This relates to the 16 charges around the 1999 arms deal with French Arms company Thales.
Duduzane Zuma said he doesn’t have high hopes from the courts. He said he hopes to attend the court proceedings in Pietermaritzburg. He could not confirm the health status of his father.